Stock Up, Stock Down: Oklahoma

Stock Down: Tyrone Swoopes

It was an awful performance from sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes last week against Baylor. He was slow running and terribly inaccurate on his passes. For a “running quarterback,” Swoopes went for just 40 yards on the ground on 14 carries. Junior running back Johnathan Gray had nearly twice that on fewer carries. But his errant passes were even more disappointing. After a couple of solid games against UCLA and Kansas, it looked like he was getting his feet under him, but he took a major step back last week. Swoopes was a paltry 16-for-34 with two interceptions. That’s good for a 7.2 QBR. As for the completions he did have, they were mostly low or behind the receiver, preventing any yards after the catch. Things get even tougher for Swoopes and Co. next week against Oklahoma. 

Stock Up: Johnathan Gray

Gray had by far his best game of the season, averaging 6.6 yards per carry. The only problem — he only got 12 of them. Gray was more effective than Brown and looks to be the top back right now. That coupled with Swoopes’ recent performance should scream more touches against an Oklahoma team that allows over 200 yards per game on the ground

Stock Down: Charlie Strong

There were times on Saturday when it felt like head coach Charlie Strong was completely out-coached. Despite being just 3-for-6 on the season, Nick Rose was trotted out to attempt a 52-yard field goal. Few in the stadium thought that was a good idea with a kicker who is shaky on extra points, let alone deep field-goal attempts. Baylor proved the doubters right, blocking the kick with ease and returning it for a touchdown. The play calling at times was a bit shaky too, as the Longhorns seemed to rely a little too much on the arm of Swoopes when the two running backs were averaging over 5.5 yards a carry. Some of that can be attributed to the offensive coordinator’s play calling, but Strong ultimately oversees an offense that is averaging a mere 18.4 points per game.

Stock Up: Duke Thomas

Since being burned for the winning touchdown against UCLA in Arlington, junior cornerback Duke Thomas has turned it around. He had his best game of the season the following week against Kansas and then kept the momentum rolling against Bryce Petty, Heisman hopeful and Baylor senior quarterback. Thomas and senior cornerback Quandre Diggs shut down Baylor’s dynamic passing game. Petty completed just seven passes en route to a 31.8 completion percentage in the contest. The defense, led by the defensive backs, kept the Longhorns in the game.