Longhorns looking towards recruits to replace withdrawn Walker

2014-03-17_Baylor_vs_UT_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Following a season that concluded with a five-game stretch in which he averaged 11.8 points per game, many had high expectations for sophomore guard Martez Walker.

However, these high expectations ended earlier this month when Walker withdrew himself from the University following two arrests in the past month. 

Walker was one of three freshman guards — along with Isaiah Taylor and Kendal Yancy — to play for the Longhorns last season, and many viewed him as one of the anchors of the Texas bench.

But, because of Walker’s absence, the Longhorns will have to look to the recruiting class of 2015 to fill the void Walker has left at the guard position. While the class of 2014 was strong — including McDonald’s All-American center Myles Turner, the class did not include the guard position.

When looking at the guard position, two prospects stand out — Kerwin Roach from North Shore Senior High School in Houston and Admon Gilder out of James Madison High School in Dallas.  

Roach, who will be visiting Texas on Oct. 17, plans to make his official decision on Oct. 24, according to Horns247. Currently, the Longhorns are in competition for Roach with four other schools; however, many consider the Longhorns to be the favorite to land Roach, according to 247 Sports.

Roach is currently the No. 34 ranked player in the nation on Rivals.com and has thoroughly impressed scouts with his long wingspan and ability to score in transition. 

Gilder, the No. 65 ranked player in the nation, is one of the premier three-point shooters in the class of 2015 and has been compared to Eric Davis, the Longhorns’ first basketball player to commit from the class of 2015. However, many suspect Gilder will take his talents to SMU or Oklahoma State, according to 247 Sports, despite taking a visit to Texas earlier this month.

Walker’s departure will hamper the progress of a Texas program coming off of an encouraging 2014 season that included an NCAA Tournament win for the first time in two years.

The Longhorns may struggle with depth in the backcourt this upcoming season; however, if they are able to secure the commitments of Roach and Gilder, Texas will boast one of the strongest backcourts in the nation in coming seasons.