34 straight: Texas makes history with sweep of TCU

2014-10-23_Volleyball_Claire_Schaper17083
Claire Schaper

In front of a raucous crowd of 2,827, the Longhorns made history Wednesday by winning their 34th straight game in Gregory Gym, with a 3-0 (25-14, 25-16, 25-22) victory over TCU.

“[The win streak] is very impressive,” head coach Jerritt Elliott said. “It means a lot in regards to the program that the players and the alumni have created here. They’ve bought in. We have a rich tradition, but, more importantly, it’s very hard to maintain being at the top all of the time. I’m proud of what we’ve been able to do.”

Despite a rocky third set, No. 2 Texas (15-0, 7-0 Big 12) was able to race past the Horned Frogs (12-10, 2-6 Big 12) as it had 43 kills, 41 digs and finished with a .309 hitting percentage.

In the first set, Texas battled back and forth as TCU tied the game at five early in the set. But the Longhorns were able to go on a 5-0 run and separated themselves from the Horned Frogs. TCU fought valiantly to remain in the game, but Texas was too much to handle as it claimed the opening set 25-14.

Although the Horned Frogs fell in the first set, they continued to give the Longhorns a challenge. In the second set, Texas opened up an 8-3 lead, but TCU fought its way back into the game and eventually tied the set at 13. The second set featured four ties and two lead changes, but the Longhorns came out on top with a
25-16 win.

After the intermission, TCU gave the Longhorns their biggest trouble in the third set. The Horned Frogs raced out to an 8-3 lead, but Texas rallied back and tied the set at 10 after going on a 7-2 run. The match went back and forth as there were 12 ties and five different lead changes. The Longhorns managed to break away from the Horned Frogs after the set was tied at 22 and won the set 25-22 and the game 3-0.

Senior outside hitter Haley Eckerman led the team in kills with 12, followed by sophomore outside hitter Pilar Victoria’s eight. Victoria led the Longhorns with 10 digs. Texas’ leading assist was sophomore utility player Nicole Dalton with 19 assists.

While the Longhorns made history Wednesday and remained undefeated this season, Elliott wasn’t happy about the team’s performance.

“I was a little disappointed tonight in the way that we prepared and the way that we performed and the level we played at,” Elliott said. “The way that we played last Saturday, the energy we brought, we sustained a very high level. I thought tonight we got pretty comfortable … we felt like we were going to win the game.”

The Longhorns will try to extend their home winning streak against Oklahoma (14-6, 5-2 Big 12) on Saturday at 5 p.m.