Exhibits and studios to see during this year’s East Austin Studio Tour

Bundled up in scarves, hats and parkas, hundreds of art lovers ventured out to a variety of galleries, businesses and artists’ homes for this year’s East Austin Studio Tour. Each stop on the free and self-guided tour is marked with a corresponding number. The second weekend of the tour will be open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Here are a number of galleries featured during the first weekend that will appear again this weekend:

Stops #79-135 — Canopy Studios, 916 Springdale Rd., Buildings 1-5

Found in a warehouse-turned-studio collective, Canopy Studios is now home to more than 45 studio spaces, three galleries and a café. It’s a good starting place for tour-goers because it houses a collection of different artists and mediums together in one area. Notable exhibits in Building 1 include Squid Ink Kollective in space #108, Flip Solomon in space #201 and Jenn Hassin in space #123. The artists from Big Medium, which organized the tour, are showing their work in Building 2, while the nationally recognized Blue Genie Art Industries are in Building 4.

Stop #325 — grayDUCK Gallery, 2213 East Cesar Chavez St.

The grayDUCK Gallery is currently featuring artists Adrian Landon Brooks and Megan Kimber in a mixed media exhibit called “Heirloom.” Both artists incorporate ancestral artifacts into their works. Kimber paints enigmatic figures and overlays them with fabrics or objects. Brooks uses old papers, greeting cards and other artifacts to create concise works that invoke nostalgia. The second weekend of E.A.S.T. is the last weekend “Heirloom” will be displayed in grayDUCK Gallery.

Stops #192-210 and #343-347 — ArtPost, 4704 E. Cesar Chavez St.

ArtPost is another collection of artists that features more than 30 open studios and exhibitions. Notable exhibits in ArtPost include watercolor and ink artist Carolina Villarreal, metal tree creator Foster Talge, photographer Somsy Vejsiri and gouache artist Kelsey Jenkinson.

Stop #145 — Resonance Studio, 1406 Smith Road, Suite D

Inside Resonance Studio, Sally Weber and Craig Newswanger work with light, holography and photography to create stunning and vibrant works. At this stop, visitors get to interact with several parts of the exhibit, including Newswanger’s drawing machine. 

Stop #173 — Pump Project Art Complex, 702 Shady Ln.

Pump Project Art Complex is a studio and gallery space for emerging artists. Such artists on the tour include sculpture artist Joshua Green, who uses glass to create modern works with simple rods and lights, and Claire Sommers Buck, who makes metal jewelry inspired by her love for ethnic and folk designs.