Snapchat brings back ‘Our Campus Story’ feature

2014-11-17_Snapchat_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick

After an initial test launch in October, the “Our Campus Story” feature on Snapchat has returned to the UT campus.

The feature allows students to post photos or videos on a regular feed that can be viewed by other users on or around campus for up to 24 hours. Snapchat originally announced that the launch of the feature at the University was temporary and would be brought back eventually.

“We’re going to visit a few other schools but hope to be back,” Snapchat said in an October email. “We hope you loved it.”

Along with UT, the feature was also available at the University of Southern California, Pennsylvania State University and the University of California-Los Angeles campuses since its launch in October. Mike Horn, UT’s director of digital strategy, said he didn’t quite understand why it had been taken down in the first place.  

“All I can assume is that they are testing the service out like it’s a beta program, and so we should expect it to be inconsistent,” Horn said.

Along with bringing back the feature at the test campuses this past week, Snapchat also expanded the feature to three more campuses: the University of Colorado-Boulder, the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and Texas A&M University.

“We can’t wait to roll out Our Campus Story to more schools across the world,” Snapchat said in a statement.

Madalynn Kainer, Texas A&M agricultural communications and journalism sophomore, said she enjoys the feature.

“I think it’s cool to see everyone’s perspective on what’s going on around campus,” Kainer said. “It allows you to get the whole picture of your school.”