Dell Medical School hires first department chairs

The University hired its first two department chairs for the upcoming Dell Medical School earlier this week.

Kevin Bozic will be the new chair of the medical school’s surgery department, and Amy Young was hired as the new chair of the obstetrics and gynecology department. Bozic said he plans to build his departments in such a way as to help make the Dell Medical School a nationally recognized institution.

“I am very excited about the opportunity,” Bozic said. “Austin has a very vibrant community who embraces innovation and change. I am looking forward into capitalizing the entrepreneurial, innovating spirit and improving the value of health care.”

Bozic said he has held leadership positions at institutions across the nation. He previously worked with Clay Johnston, Dell Medical School dean, at the University of California-San Francisco, where he is a professor and vice chair of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is also a visiting scholar at Harvard Business School. He graduated from the University of California-San Francisco School of Medicine and the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. 

“A new way of teaching medicine in the new Dell school is to first understand the needs of the patient and organize a system to optimize the help to the patient,” Bozic said. 

According to the University, Young has an experience in initiating and leading programs and collaborative partnerships in obstetrics. Young now works as the chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center-New Orleans. She has also served as the District XI chair of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

“Improving women’s health is an essential part of the Dell Medical School’s mission,” Young said in a statement. “We can reshape health and health care delivery that improves outcomes for women here and helps catalyze positive change across the country.”

Johnston said the school is founded on a partnership that will help resolve the evolvement of health care.

“This is an exciting time,” Johnston said in a statement. “The decisions we make now will help make Austin a healthier place and a model for the world. The vital, inclusive health ecosystem we want to create is starting to shape.”