Isaiah Taylor injury update

NEW YORK CITY — Amid swirls of speculation about the status of his injury, sophomore point guard Isaiah Taylor spoke to a few members of the media Friday night reaffirming the uncertainty of the situation.

“We went to the hospital yesterday to check it out, X-rays and all,” he said outside the locker room.  “I haven’t been clued in on anything that happened yet. They put me in a hard splint. We’re just going back to Austin to get reevaluated, and I’ll take it from there.”

Taylor took a hard spill on a flagrant foul Thursday against Iowa at Madison Square Garden. He landed awkwardly on his left wrist, not thinking much of it at the time. He sat out Friday's game against Cal in the 2K Classic Tournament wearing a hard cast and sling on the bench.

“Coach Barnes kissed it in the huddle so it felt better then, but other than that I didn’t think it was that bad,” Taylor said.

There is still no timetable for his return and his guess is a couple of weeks. But missing a couple weeks would sideline him in big non-conference games at No. 1 Kentucky and No. 17 UConn. Taylor expects to be ready by the start of conference play.

Junior Javan Felix will run the point in Taylor’s absence.

“Without me this team is still good,” Taylor said. “As you can see we won today.”