Texas will play Arkansas in AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl

2014-11-27_Football_vs_TCU_Ethan
Ethan Oblak

Texas accepted its invitation to play in the 2014 AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl on December 29 in Houston. The Longhorns (6-6, 5-4) will face the Razorbacks (6-6, 2-6) at 8 p.m. at NRG Stadium, where the Houston Texans compete.

The game marks Texas’ first postseason competition against an SEC team since it lost to Alabama in the 2009 BCS Championship. Texas and Arkansas share a long history as Southwestern Conference rivals from 1925 to 1991. After the Razorbacks moved to the SEC in the 1990s, the conference soon disintegrated.

“We’re excited to be playing…against an old SWC rival in Arkansas,” said Texas head coach Charlie Strong, an Arkansas native.

The Texas-Arkansas rivalry peaked at the 1969 matchup between the top-two programs, sometimes touted as the “Game of the Century.” No. 1 Texas rebounded from a 14-0 deficit to top the No. 2 Razorbacks 15-14 in the match.

“That game was such a memorable game,” Strong said. “As you continue to watch those great matchups over the years, that’s one game they’d always play back, so it’s a special game.”

Although Texas and Arkansas are not ranked, each features a dominant defense. Texas finished twelfth in passing defense (186.3 yards per game), eighth in yards allowed per play (4.67) and tied for seventh in sacks (3.25 per game). Arkansas allowed just 20.3 points per game — good for 15th in the nation. Its red zone defense ranks at No. 4.

“Arkansas presents an unbelievable challenge,” Strong said. “They are a really good, physical team that has played their best ball in the second half of the season.”

The bowl game marks the Longhorns 53rd bowl appearance, good for second best in the NCAA. Both teams have a winning season on the line.

The game will be televised on ESPN.