Longhorns add pair of defensive back recruits over weekend

In a winter filled with recruiting victories, Texas head coach Charlie Strong had something to celebrate once again after picking up two four-star cornerbacks in Holton Hill and Kris Boyd on Friday. The Longhorns now have two of the top-three ranked cornerbacks in the state, according to 247sports.

Hill, who played at Lamar High School in Houston, ranks as the nation’s No. 7 cornerback after totaling 11 interceptions and two special teams touchdowns in his senior year. At 6-foot-2, he possesses the size to cover taller wide receivers, and is considered to be a potential immediate contributor on defense and special teams.

Boyd, who played at Gilmer, is not too far behind Hill as a prospect, ranking as the nation’s No. 11 cornerback. At six foot, Boyd also has good size for his position and he proved himself as a playmaker with two interceptions and three forced fumbles his senior year. His younger brother Demarco Boyd is committed to join the Longhorns in 2016.

The duo adds to an already strong defensive back class that features four-star defensive backs Davante Davis and DeShon Elliot. With the Big 12 producing five top-20 passing offenses in 2014, secondary depth is an area of importance, especially with cornerback Quandre Diggs departing this off-season. The Longhorns hope the new defensive-back class can help them maintain their stout pass defense, which ranked in the top-15 in passing yards allowed in 2014.

In addition to adding two four-star cornerbacks, the Longhorns made news this weekend for recruits who are yet to choose their destination.

Cedar Hill’s four-star wide receiver Demarkus Lodge announced that Texas is in his top-three Friday, while Gladewater’s five-star defensive tackle  Daylon Mack announced Saturday that he made his decision after receiving in-home visits from Strong and competing coaching staffs this past week. Both Lodge and Mack will announce their final decisions on national signing day.

While Texas gained recruiting momentum this weekend, it wasn’t all good news for the Longhorns.

Five-star quarterback Kyler Murray announced Thursday that he will be sticking with Texas A&M after taking an unofficial visit to Texas the weekend prior. Successfully flipping Murray would have been a huge boost to Texas’ recruiting class, especially with the team’s quarterback situation in question for 2015.

The Longhorns took another potential hit Sunday when three-star safety commit Jamile Johnson re-opened his recruitment for the third time after decommitting from the Longhorns.

Texas’ 2015 class is currently ranked No. 9 by 247sports, and it can keep its momentum going in the next few days with several top prospects still considering the Longhorns. It has the potential to be ranked as a top-five class come Wednesday’s national signing day, and if momentum keeps trending in Texas’ favor, the Longhorns will have a lot to be excited about next fall.