Longhorns fall to TCU for fifth Big 12 loss

2015_01_30_Womans_Basketball_vs_OU_Ellyn
Ellyn Snider

After taking down Oklahoma last week, Texas’ struggles returned Saturday. 

Junior center Imani McGee-Stafford scored 22 points with eight rebounds, but turnovers plagued Texas as it fell to TCU, 64–59, in Fort Worth.

The Longhorns played well in the first half, jumping to an early 8–0 start. However, Texas’ turnover problems came back in full force, allowing the Horned Frogs to gain momentum. In the first half, the Longhorns had 15 turnovers, most of which they caused themselves. 

As a result of those unforced turnovers, Texas did not have as many opportunites to score.

In the second half, TCU heated up from behind the arc, shooting 64 percent, while Texas turned the ball over 10 more times to increase its total to 25.

The Longhorns had a chance to slip away with a victory after they tied the game at 57 with less than two-and-a-half minutes remaining — but TCU forward Chelsea Prince hit a 3-pointer soon after, and the Horned Frogs scored 5 quick points to claim their fifth Big 12 win.

McGee-Stafford led Texas with her season-best game, which included scoring 16 of Texas’ 24 first-half points, but she comitted four turnovers. Sophomore center Kelsey Lang and freshman guard Ariel Atkins also claimed double-digit point totals with 13 each.

Texas, who was the preseason favorite to win the Big 12, now faces a challenge halfway through the conference schedule. The Longhorns have lost five of their last seven games and have since moved to fifth place in the Big 12. Unfortunately, Texas’ schedule only gets tougher from here.

The Longhorns travel north to Manhattan, Kansas, to face Kansas State on Wednesday before hosting Baylor at home. The Wildcats sit just one place behind Texas while the Bears currently hold first place in the conference, ahead of Oklahoma and Iowa State.