Longhorns have high hopes on National Signing Day 2015

2014-11-15_Texas_vs_OSU_Lauren
Lauren Ussery

With National Signing Day here, Texas head coach Charlie Strong’s first full Texas recruiting class is shaping up to be top notch.

Follow our live blog of National Signing Day here.

247Sports currently ranks Texas’ class No. 9, the highest a Texas class has been ranked since 2012, and the Longhorns have potential to look even better on National Signing Day with several top prospects still in play. If Texas can turn its recent recruiting momentum into a high-yield National Signing Day, the 2015 class will be a signature one for Strong and the Longhorns.

Chris Warren, RB, Rockwall

The Longhorns look to sign the nation’s No. 8 running back — Rockwall’s Chris Warren. The four-star running back scored 34 rushing touchdowns in his senior year and can help improve a Longhorn rushing attack that struggled with consistency in 2014. This weekend, he took an official visit to Washington, posing a major threat for the Longhorn’s prospects — partly because of Warren’s family ties to the state. Warren’s father was a three-time all-star for the Seattle Seahawks.

Announcement: 8:00 a.m. (WatchESPN)

Final list: Texas, Washington

DT Prediction: Texas (Ezra Siegel)

Soso Jamabo, RB, Plano West

Although Warren is likely headed to Austin, the Longhorns are also targeting an even higher-ranked rusher — Soso Jamabo, Plano West’s five-star running back. Ranked as the nation’s No. 2 running back, Jamabo showed a blend of speed and power when he accumulated more than 2200 yards rushing and 44 rushing touchdowns in his senior year. Reports surfaced Monday night that Jamabo told Texas coaches he would be going to UCLA, but he quickly sent out a tweet refuting those claims.

Announcement: 8:15 a.m. (ESPNU)

Final list: Texas, UCLA

DT Prediction: Texas (Evan Berkowitz)

Daylon Mack, DT, Gladewater

Daylon Mack, Gladewater’s five-star defensive tackle, joins Jamabo as Texas’ only remaining five-star targets. After committing to Texas A&M in 2013, Mack re-opened his recruiting in December. While publicly, Mack says he is still deciding between Texas, Texas A&M and TCU, rumors surfaced Tuesday morning that Mack will be heading back to Texas A&M, according to 247Sports. Mack has not confirmed those rumors and is still a target to watch on signing day. It would be a huge gain for Texas if Mack were to commit — and immediately fill the hole that Malcom Brown left.

Announcement: 11:30 a.m. (ESPNU)

Final list: Texas, Texas A&M, TCU

DT Prediction: Texas A&M (Aaron Torres)