Entrepreneurship helps UT change the world

0218_illo_MelanieWestfall
Melanie Westfall

It’s the UT cliche we all hold dear: “What starts here changes the world.” Like most other public universities’ mottos, the idea is to make you feel good about yourself and your future, but at this University, students and faculty go to considerable lengths to make that cliche a little more of a reality, especially in the field of entrepreneurship.

Take the food lab. In the discussion we had with Robyn Metcalfe, the director of the organization, the Texan learned a great deal about the fascinating work this group does not only to encourage awareness and research on culinary topics, but in supporting students who have their own plans and dreams when it comes to food.

The Longhorn Entrepreneurship Agency, to take the second example, goes to impressive lengths throughout its entrepreneurship week and “Freshman Founders” program to convince students, business students or not, to go for their dreams and create the idea or business that they had always dreamed of. As the column notes, the program has already been greatly successful in its brief history.

The spirit evinced by these two organizations goes to show that what starts here really does change the world.

Brands is a linguistics senior from Austin. Forum Editor Amil Malik is on a leave of absence while she runs for the TSM Board of Operating Trustees.