Horns Digest names four rumored finalists for UT president position

“Horns Digest,” an online sports journal, named four alleged finalists for the UT presidency in a post Thursday.

The publication did not specify their source of the information, but named Greg Fenves, executive vice president and provost of the University, David Daniel, president of UT Dallas, and Andrew Hamilton, vice chancellor of the University of Oxford in England, as the finalists for the position.

The publication also reported Michael Drake, president of the Ohio State University, as a finalist, but later amended the post to list Joseph Steinmetz, executive vice president and provost at the Ohio State University, as the fourth finalist.

According to the Austin American-Statesman, a spokesperson for the Ohio State University said Steinmetz already decided not to pursue the opportunity.

A member of the University-wide faculty committee appointed to conduct interviews with the finalists for the presidency confirmed that the committee met with at least one candidate Wednesday but would not say who the committee interviewed.

According to a timeline posted on the UT System’s website, the name of the next president will be publicly released some time in March. Current President William Powers Jr. will step down in June 2015.

In December 2014, the New York Post reported that Condoleezza Rice, professor at Stanford University and former Secretary of State, was the front-runner to replace Powers. Both Rice and UT officials quickly discredited the report.