Jack in the Box on Guadalupe folds under financial strain

2015-02-27_Jack_in_a_Box_Michael
Michael Baez

The Jack in the Box on Guadalupe Street closed its doors for the last time Sunday. Joe Sanchez, a manager at the Jack in the Box location on E. 41st Street said the restaurant was forced to close because of financial troubles. 

Biology sophomore Edidiong Umoh, who frequented the fast food chain to order her favorite chicken nuggets, said the closing poses a major inconvenience for the students who patronize the store regularly.

“[Jack in the Box] was very convenient; it’s right across the street, and, sometimes, the dining hall food can get boring, so it’s kind of an escape from that, and it’s cheap,” Umoh said. “It’s just more of a hassle for me.”

The Jack in the Box logos have been removed from the building, and the only remnants of the restaurant is a sign on the door that reads, “This location has been closed. You are more than welcome to visit our nearest location on 100 E. 41st. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

Michael Baez | Daily Texan Staff

Nutrition assistant professor Jamie Davis said she hopes the closing of Jack in the Box will change students’ eating habits for the better.

“I think that if you can change the built environment, then you can certainly improve people’s food choices, so, in my opinion, it’s a step in the right direction,” Davis said.

Fast food restaurants such as Jack in the Box push combo meals to its customers, which can contain anywhere from 1,000 to 1,200 calories, Davis said.

“The actual ability to choose a low-calorie, kind of healthier meal is limited at Jack in the Box,” Davis said. “It just gives college students another chance to over-consume and get extra total fat and extra sugar.” 

Umoh said she thinks the loss of Jack in the Box may encourage her to add more variety to her diet. 

“If you’re obsessed with one thing like I am, then it can become a routine, maybe, so I guess you should look at the positive,” Umoh said. “I guess this is an opportunity to go out and try new things. I’ll probably go to Whataburger down the street, or I might just eat at the dining halls.”