UT closes campus until 1 p.m., delays classes until 2 p.m.

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

UT campus will close at 9:30 p.m. Wednesday and remain closed until 1 p.m. Thursday because of inclement winter weather.

Classes will resume at 2 p.m., and UT shuttle services will start at 12:45 p.m.

University officials are concerned about precipitation freezing throughout the night, causing icy roads and poor driving conditions for those trying to get to the campus, according to University spokeswoman Cindy Posey. 

Posey said the safety of students, faculty and staff was the main concern and determining factor when officials looked at the conditions.

"We take into consideration students and employees traveling by foot, public transportation and car," Posey said. "We want everyone to be safe." 

The University issued a preliminary warning Wednesday afternoon saying officials would monitor the situation closely before making any decisions.

Posey said University officials will continue monitoring the situation tomorrow morning.

UT Incident Meteorologist Troy Kimmel said some areas in Austin are projected to have a quarter inch of ice and that it could take until afternoon for the ice to melt.

"The main thing I would suggest is that people not be on the rode after 10 p.m. tonight and should remain off the roads through the morning hours based on what we're seeing," Kimmel said.

AISD cancelled school for the entirety of the day.