Live Blog: Jones-Dargahi and Rotnofsky-Mandalapu will enter run-off to decide executive alliance

2015-03-02_Student_Gov_Stephanie
Stephanie Tacy

Welcome to The Daily Texan's election night live blog. Throughout the night, we will provide updates on the campus-wide Student Government elections. To learn more about the candidates, check out Student Elections Explorer.

10:00 p.m. – The results are in:

7:30 p.m. – Because no one ticket captured more than 50 percent of the vote, there will be a runoff election for Executive Alliance between Rotnofsky-Mandalapu and Jones-Dargahi. Jones-Dargahi received 46.34 percent of the vote and Rotnofsky-Mandalapu received 26.9 percent. The other two executive alliances on the ballot, Maly-Svatek and Morrison-Normyle, received a total of 26.76 percent. 

Jones-Dargahi and Rotnofsky-Mandalapu will campaign for six more days before the runoff election March 11-12. Each team will be allowed to spend an additional $150 on campaigning.

"We're not as nervous anymore," Rotnofsky said. "Surprised for sure. This has been the most successful. I’m pretty sure this has been the most successful [Texas Travesty] campaign. Travesty alumns have reached out to us and said they loved the campaign. That’s been the best reward."

Jones said he is optimistic about his team's odds for the runoff election.

"Our numbers looked great the first time," Jones said. "We're going to do exactly what we've been doing."

Election Supervisory Board Chair Nick Molina said it was difficult to predict the results of the Executive Alliance race. 

"I wouldn’t necessarily say its a surprise," Molina said. "[Both teams have] been campaigning so well."

7:07 p.m. – Liberal Arts representatives are Jenny McGinty, Tanner Long, Connor Madden, and Sammy Minkowitz. Claire Smith wins the race for The Daily Texan editor-in-chief. Engineering representatives are Gregory Ross, Edward Banner and Joshua Richardson. 

7:01 p.m – Election Supervisory Board Chair Nick Molina said 9,801 people voted in the campus-wide elections this year, an increase of 14 percent from last year.

"I want to thank all 74 of the candidates who ran in the campus-wide elections this year," Molina said. 

First results are announced, University Co-Op Board of Directors seats go to Cameron Kerl and Dana Le. Graduate Student Assembly winners are Brian Wilkey and Vance Roper. 

6:55 p.m. – With five minutes until elections results are announced, Jones said if he wins, he will talk to the other Executive Alliance teams to discuss their platforms. Rotnofsky said if his team wins, he will demand a recount. Maly said he and Svatek will work to accomplish every goal on their platform.  

6:41 p.m. – The three Executive Alliance teams – Braydon Jones and Kimia Dargahi, David Maly and Stephen Svatek, and Xavier Rotnofsky and Rohit Mandalapu – enter the assembly room. Election Supervisory Board Chair Nick Molina said results could be announced any time between now and 7 p.m.

6:28 p.m. – The Election Supervisory Board arrives and directed bystanders to take seats at the front of the room. Supporters of Braydon Jones and Kimia Dargahi are chanting fellow Executive Alliance team David Maly and Stephen Svatek's slogan, "SG for all." 

Kevin Helgren, a candidate for University-wide representative, said he's more nervous than excited to hear the election results.

"I'm a little bit excited, but more nervous … it's after 5, so we did what we could," Helgren said.

6:20 p.m. – With 10 minutes until election results are released, students and candidates are waiting outside the Legislative Assembly Room in the Student Activity Center. Doors are set to open at 6:30 p.m.