Texas WBB receives No. 5 seed in NCAA tournament

2015-03-08-WBB_Big12Tournament_OU_Marshall
Marshall Tidrick

Selection Monday has come and gone, and the Longhorns are officially going dancing. 

Texas (2210) found out it is the No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament in the Albany Region. The Longhorns will travel to Berkeley, California, to face No.12 Western Kentucky (30–4) in the first round.  

The two-time defending Conference USA champion Hilltoppers held off Southern Mississippi, 6057, on Sunday. 

Western Kentucky has a strong history in the NCAA tournament, having reached the Final Four three times, including a national championship appearance in 1992.

Texas is coming off a 7564 loss in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Championship final to now five-time champion Baylor. This will be the second-straight NCAA tournament appearance by Texas.

A victory in the opening round for the Longhorns would solidify the most wins the team has had since the 2003–2004 season. That team made a Sweet 16 appearance.

The Albany Region plays host to a slew of teams from Kentucky and the tournament’s No. 1 overall seed, UConn. 

Friday’s opening round matchup between Texas and Western Kentucky is scheduled to tip off at 4 p.m. on ESPN 2. The winner plays either No. 4 California or No. 13 Wichita State on Sunday.