Decathlon, heptathlon highlight Thursday’s Texas Relay action

2015-03-26_Texas_Relays_Thursday_Amy
Amy Zhang

Although the bulk of the meet occurs Friday and Saturday, there have already been a number of event highlights at the 88th annual Nike Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays at Mike A. Myers Stadium.

The highlight of Thursday’s events came when former Longhorn Leo Manzano broke the Texas Relays record in the 800m with a time of 1:46.46.

In the men’s decathlon, freshman Harrison Williams of Stanford holds a narrow lead at the top of the leaderboard. Texas sophomore Wolf Mahler opened the event with a personal record in the 100m in a time of 10.52 seconds.

On the women’s side, the heptathlon has been the premiere event of the meet with Arkansas’ Alex Gochenour leading the pack. After producing solid results in each of her events, she looks to hold her lead to ultimately be named heptathlon champion.

Friday morning represents the first test for many college and high school runners, as the track events will kick off with preliminary and qualifying races throughout the morning. At the same time as the morning preliminaries are the finals for field participants in the college ranks.

In the afternoon, the men’s and women’s 400m hurdles begin as one of the main events of the relays, while on Saturday, the day starts early with the high school 3200m and closes with the 1600m relays.