Weekend previews

Men's golf

The No. 3 men’s golf team will travel to Georgia this weekend for the 3M Augusta Invitational. After a week off, the Longhorns return to the course seeking their fourth-consecutive team win.

The format of the tournament this week is slightly varied. Instead of the usual three-day competition, the tournament will be held on two days, Saturday and Sunday. The competitors will play 54 holes in shotgun format, playing 36 continuous holes on the first day. 

Texas will send five players to Georgia to compete in the 15-team field, which includes 2014 champion University of Central Florida. Senior Kramer Hickok, sophomores Beau Hossler and Gavin Hall, and freshmen Doug Ghim and
Scottie Schefler will represent the Longhorns. 

Texas is currently coming off three-straight wins, the most recent of which at the Linger Longer Invitational late last month. Before that, the Longhorns finished first in the Johnny Hayt Invitational and the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters.

Women's tennis

Texas women’s tennis will take on the Ohio State Buckeyes this weekend for the first time in program history.

Coming off a successful weekend against two unranked teams, Texas will gear up against the No. 19 Buckeyes, who are currently 10 spots above the No. 29-ranked Longhorns.

Ohio State, which entered the top 20 this week after winning its eighth straight game, is undefeated in Big Ten conference play with a 14–4 overall record.

Although Texas is the underdog in the matchup, the team is no stranger to upsetting higher-ranked opponents. Late last month, Texas took down then-No. 18 Texas Tech and, before that, then-No. 23 Oklahoma.

Texas’ lone ranked player, No. 47 junior Breaunna Addison, will most likely face off against Ohio State sophomore Gabriella De Santis. Although De Santis is not nationally ranked, she has played at No. 1 singles in her last two matchups and has a Big Ten record of 6–1. She received the Big Ten Athlete of the Week honor for the second time this season.

In doubles, De Santis and sophomore Sandy Niehaus are nationally ranked at No. 44, just one spot below the No. 43-ranked Texas duo of Addison and freshman Ryann Foster. The two pairs will most likely meet at No. 1 doubles for a close match.

Texas sophomore Neda Koprcina will presumably take on Niehaus on court three. Niehaus is currently undefeated in Big Ten play.

The match will be held at the Westwood Country Club in Austin.