Tennis teams sweep Tuesday’s matches

2015-04-07_Mens_Tennis_vs_UTSA_Rachel
Rachel Zein

Men's Tennis

No. 9 Texas took care of business against unranked UTSA on Tuesday, sweeping the Roadrunners, 4–0. 

The Longhorns improved their season record to 17–3 and are now 11–1 at home, coming just short of their undefeated home record last year. 

Texas’ doubles lines set the tone for the Longhorns early in the match, as seniors Lloyd Glasspool and Søren Hess-Olesen won at the No. 1 doubles line by a score of 6–2. The team of juniors Nick Naumann and Michael Riechmann then claimed the doubles point for the Longhorns at the No. 3 doubles line, winning 6–3. 

Naumann’s strong performance continued in singles competition as he won at the No. 4 singles line with a commanding 6–3, 6–1 victory. Naumann had struggled lately, losing four of his previous five matches before Tuesday. 

Tuesday’s match carried extra weight for Hess–Olesen as he was looking to reach his 100th career singles win in a Texas uniform. However, Hess–Olesen was unable to reach the milestone Tuesday as Texas swept UTSA before the conclusion of his match.

With only two home matches left in the season, the Longhorns will conclude non–conference play against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at the Westwood Country Club in Austin on Wednesday.

Women's Tennis

Texas found success outside its conference with a 4–0 home sweep over Abilene Christian University on Tuesday.

On the doubles courts, freshman duo Danielle Wagland and Ryann Foster set the pace for the No. 36 Longhorns, defeating ACU’s Whitney Williams and Erin Walker. Following their example, Texas sophomores Ratnika Batra and Neda Koprcina clinched the doubles point, 6–4, after a battle against their Wildcat opponents.

In singles, Batra, making her first appearance after sitting out the last four games, took command of the court sweeping both sets against Williams, furthering the Longhorns lead to 2–0. 

Texas’ lone ranked junior, No. 48 Breaunna Addison, posted her sixth-straight singles win.   

Rounding out the 4–0 sweep, senior Lina Padegimaite posted a 6–1, 6–2 win.

With this victory Texas’ overall record advances to 8–9. The Longhorns will need to take this momentum going into their hardest conference game of the season when they face Baylor this weekend.