Weekend previews

Track and field

The Penn Relays is an event that every track team in the country circles when the schedule comes out every year. 

Widely known as the crown jewel of track and field, the competition, held at the University of Pennsylvania since 1895, provides a massive test for the Texas track and
field team.

Head coach Mario Sategna’s group will once again hope to find its place on the podium at the historic event. At last year’s edition of the famed meet, both the men’s and women’s 4×400-meter relay teams excelled and placed in the top two.

The men’s team, anchored by junior Zack Bilderback, placed second in an incredibly strong 4×400-meter field. The women, a group that has gained a lot of chemistry over the past two years, won the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 3:25.05 — a Penn Relays record. 

In the NCAA rankings, the men’s team held strong at No. 6 in the country while the women stayed at No. 3.

This meet begins Thursday morning and runs all the way through Saturday. 

Women’s tennis

After finishing up its last two home games, Texas heads to Waco this weekend for the Big 12 Women’s Tennis Championships.

To begin the postseason, the No. 5-seeded Longhorns will play TCU, which earned the No. 4 seed.

Earlier this season, Texas faced the Horned Frogs and dropped the match, 4–0.  

No team has defeated No. 17 TCU in the month of April, and the team is coming off an impressive 4–0 win against the No. 15 Texas Tech.

History appears to be repeating itself. In 2014, Texas suffered a loss to the Horned Frogs during the regular season but then opened up the Big 12 Championships with a win against them, which propelled the Longhorns to the semifinals.

TCU has two players ranked in the top 100: No. 44 senior Simona Parajova and No. 79 senior Stefanie Tan. Tan has played at the No. 1 spots in both singles and doubles for the entire season.

The winner of the TCU–Texas game will play the victor of the match between Baylor and its opponent, which has yet to be determined. 

Texas takes on TCU at 3 p.m. Friday at the Hurd Tennis Center in Waco.