Two albums to listen to: an album that defined a genre and a satirical musical

Editor’s note: In this recurring column, music writer Chris Duncan suggests two albums to listen to this week. Have a suggestion? Send a tweet to @chr_dunc.

Spiderland — Slint

Slint recorded its second record, Spiderland, in 1991, and in the process, defined post-rock for an entire generation of musicians. The band’s lack of fame is not surprising, given it rarely performed live, gave very few interviews and took almost no photographs. Spiderland became the magnum opus for the group of naive teenagers. The album wasn’t recorded in a studio over months like the rock albums of the previous decade; it took one weekend to create this chilling project. Slint is the antagonist to the energetic ’80s-style rock.

Every song on this project is a sparse, slow experience with occasional haunting guitar plucks and short stories crafted out of the worst of nightmares. Even the cover of the album gives off scary vibes; it looks like a poster you see around town for four missing friends last seen swimming in a quarry. It’s only fitting that Slint broke up immediately after recording this album because Spiderland tells the story of its disappearance.

Tracks to Listen to: “Nosferatu Man,” “Don, Aman,” “Good Morning, Captain”

The Book of Mormon: Original Broadway Cast Recording – Original Broadway cast   

Trey Parker and Matt Stone are known for their work on the controversial Comedy Central show "South Park," but their best work in recent memory is “The Book of Mormon.” The production, which debuted on Broadway in 2011, tells the tale of two Mormon missionaries who are sent to Uganda to share their scriptures but discover that the population is more concerned with more pressing issues, such as war, famine and AIDS.

In the typical Parker and Stone style, the show is offensive and vulgar, yet the musical has relatable characters and hilarious moments. Sunny melodies poke fun at contemporary Broadway and dark subject matters, but each song stays catchy and clever. No matter your position on religion, this musical manages to make everyone laugh.

Tracks to Listen to: “Hello!,” “You and Me (But Mostly Me),” “I Believe”