Four under-$20 shows to see in Austin this weekend

Editor’s note: In this recurring column, writer Cat Cardenas rounds up four artists, who are performing over the weekend for less than $20.

Have a suggestion? Is there a show we missed? Send a tweet to Cat at @crcardenas8 and let us know how you plan to spend your weekend.

Who: King Tuff

Where: Mohawk

When: 6 p.m Thursday

Cost: $3 with RSVP

Black Moon Spell marked the fifth studio album for glam-rock band King Tuff and its first release with Sub Pop Records. Songs such as “Headbanger" and "Eyes of the Muse" will energize the crowd with psychedelic guitar and amusing lyrics. With this release, frontman Kyle Thomas creates an ode to classic rock. His nostalgic songs will please fans of ’60s and ’70s rockers as well as fans of newer acts such as Thee Oh Sees.

Who: Twin Peaks

Where: Red 7

When: 8 p.m. Thursday

Cost: $12 or $14 at the door

Garage-rock band Twin Peaks returns to Austin this week after several performances during SXSW. The five piece band released its sophomore album Wild Onion in August of last year. With twice as many songs as its first release, the band took a chance to experiment with new sounds and emotions. The band heavily features the guitar which ranges from mellow on songs such as “Strange World” and gives energy to songs such as “Flavor.”

Who: Houndmouth

Where: Historic Scoot Inn

When: 8 p.m. Friday

Cost: $16

Two years after its first release, Indiana-based band Houndmouth returns with its second album, Little Neon Limelight. The album is reminiscent of classic American songwriters, such as Bob Dylan. The album’s first track “Sedona" is bright and showcases the band’s harmonies, while "For No One," allows the band to strip things down with thoughtful lyrics and vulnerable vocals.

Who: Ivan & Alyosha

Where: Holy Mountain

When: 8 p.m. Saturday

Cost: $13

Last month, the indie-rock band Ivan & Alyosha released its eighth studio album, It’s All Just Pretend. This time around, frontman Tim Wilson shared a writing credit with two of his bandmates, giving the band a new sound. I&A’s songs are now less folky and more upbeat but still recognizable to the band’s fans. “All This Wandering Around” and “Modern Man” display the band’s newfound pop and rock sounds.