Four under-$20 shows to see in Austin this weekend

4showsunder20logo_MelanieWestfall306
Melanie Westfall

Editor’s note: In this recurring column, writer Cat Cardenas rounds up four artists, who are performing over the weekend for less than $20.

Have a suggestion? Is there a show we missed? Send a tweet to Cat at @crcardenas8 and let us know how you plan to spend your weekend.

Who: Quiet Company

Where: The North Door

When: Thursday 8 p.m.

Cost: Free

Austin-based indie-rock band Quiet Company released its fourth album, Transgressor, this February. The band’s prior release, We Are All Where We Belong, garnered national attention and multiple awards. Bolstered by the praise, Quiet Company returns confident in its sound and abilities. With songs such as “The Most Dangerous Game” and “Understand the Problem,” Quiet Company will keep things upbeat and entertaining.

Who: The New Division

Where: Red Eyed Fly

When: Friday 9 p.m. 

Cost: $10

Electronic band The New Division will release its third album, Gemini, later this month. Influenced by Depeche Mode and Joy Division, the California band blends synthesizer and reverb to create a futuristic and trance-inducing sound. Unlike some of the band’s previous releases, songs such as “Introspective” and “Holy” are more dynamic and give the band a new energy.

Who: Girl in a Coma

Where: Mohawk

When: Friday 7 p.m.

Cost: $15

Rock-and-roll trio Girl in a Coma is heavily influenced by punk-rock sounds of bands such as The Smiths and The Runaways. It’s only fitting that Runaways’ frontwoman Joan Jett signed the band to her label, Blackheart Records. With four albums under their belts, the band members have also worked with Morissey, Sia and Robert Rodriguez. On songs such as “Adjust” the band’s lead singer and guitarist, Nina Diaz, showcases her powerful vocals and meaningful lyrics.

Who: William Fitzsimmons

Where: Stubbs

When: Sunday 8 p.m.

Cost: $20

Folk singer William Fitzsimmons released his seventh album, Pittsburgh, in May. The Illinois-based artist, grew up in Pittsburgh and self-produced two of his albums there. Raised by two blind parents who were amateur musicians, Fitzsimmons developed a love for music at an early age. Like all of Fitzsimmons’ albums, Pittsburgh showcases the singer’s personal lyrics and vulnerable vocals.