Free Austin summertime events to attend this week

2015-05-31_Summer_Austin_Symphony_Tess
Tess Cagle

Editor’s Note: In this recurring column, writer Katie Walsh outlines free Austin summer events happening each day of the week.

Monday, June 15

What: Geeks Who Drink Trivia Night

Where: Gourdough’s Public House, 2700 S. Lamar Blvd.

Time: 8 p.m.

Geeks Who Drink, a Denver-based company that hosts trivia nights in restaurants across the country, claims its trivia nights are unlike any other. Touted as a “pub quiz” rather than a traditional “trivia night,” Geeks Who Drink is a two-hour-long event of more than 70 questions written by hired writers. Contestants play for gift certificates, bizarre prizes and a photo of your team on the GWD website.

For more information, click here.

Tuesday, June 16

What: Amy’s Ice Cream Trick Olympics

Where: The Grove at Southpark Meadows,  9300 S. Interstate 35 Frontage Rd.

Time: 7 p.m.

Employees from all of the Amy’s Ice Cream locations gather to show off their ice cream tricks and acrobatics during the annual Trick Olympics. The acrobats compete solo and in groups for the audience’s claps and judge’s votes. While the competition unfolds, buy a cold drink, ice cream or baked good from Baked by Amy’s — 20 percent of the proceeds will go to the nonprofit organization Court-Appointed Special Advocates of Travis County.

For more information, click here.

Wednesday, June 17

What: Sauced Comedy at Kebabalicious

Where: Kebabalicious storefront, 1311 E. Seventh St.

Time: 8 p.m.

Kebabalicious brings five comedians to its storefront every Wednesday for an evening of jokes and kebabs. Between sets, order from the Turkish menu or take advantage of the drink specials.

For more information, click here.

Thursday, June 18

What: Lights Up! Talent Showcase

Where: The New Movement Theater, 616 Lavaca St.

Time: 8:30 p.m.

Lights Up!, a weekly improv show at the New Movement Theater, will showcase the improv troupe Talent Showcase. The donation-based event is part of The New Movement’s Pay-What-You-Want Thursdays that encourages attendees to donate whatever they please “even if it’s pennies or nothing at all!” Following the improv show, an open mic will commence at 9:30 p.m.

For more information, click here.

Friday, June 19

What: Ginger Fest

Where: Birds Barbershop, 13219 N. Highway 183

Time: 5 p.m.

Red-heads can finally feel appreciated during Gingerfest, an event thrown by Birds Barbershop in honor of its new store's grand opening. Although all hair colors are welcome, gingers in attendance will receive a coupon for a free haircut as well as the opportunity to enter the “Best Redhead” competition. Free Shiner Ruby Redbird beer, special-edition Gingerfest Agua Fresca from The Soup Peddler and a sample of Ruby Red-inspired ice cream from Amy’s will be available to snack on while listening to the live music provided by fellow redhead musicians.

For more information, click here.

Saturday, June 20

What: Solstice Festival

Where: Pan Am Park, 2100 E. Third St.

Time: 12 p.m. – 10 p.m. festival, 10 p.m. – 2 a.m. after party

The Opening Ceremony kicks off Solstice Festival with a guided meditation around a new pyramid sculpture built from two tons of steel. Following the meditation, bands will perform 40-minute sets on one of two stages in the park until 10 p.m. Concert-goers are encouraged to welcome the summer solstice when the clocks strike midnight at the after party held inside Vulcan Gas Company.

For more information, click here.

Sunday, June 21

What: Super Soul Sunday’s

Where: Icenhauer’s, 83 Rainey St.    

Time: 4 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Over a 100 years ago, a family lived inside a building that now houses an array of thirsty Austinites every evening. The house-turned-bar, now called Icenhauer’s, hosts weekly concerts Sunday evenings when the rest of the city has grown quiet. Wind down at the end of your week by ordering a drink inside and grabbing a seat in the shade while the Austin-based soul band, The Nightowls, perform.

For more information, click here.