Indiana Pacers draft freshman center Myles Turner in NBA Draft

mylesturner2015-01-24_Mens_Basketball_vs_Kansas_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Texas freshman center Myles Turner has officially moved on to the Indiana Pacers after being drafted as the 11th overall pick of the 2015 NBA draft.  

Turner, who said he wasn’t able to sleep in the days leading up the draft, will be playing among NBA All-stars Paul George and Roy Hibbert.

Turner is the highest Texas draft pick since 2011, when the Cavaliers drafted Tristan Thompson as the fourth pick.

In his single season as a Longhorn, Turner averaged 10.1 points per game and had 83.9 free throw percentage on the season. The freshman played in all 34 games, and the Big 12 Conference named him Freshman of the Year.

Turner said he’s going to miss the city of Austin and looks forward to seeing new head coach Shaka Smart do “great things” with the program but said the NBA was where he always wanted to be.

“I had intentions of becoming a pro ever since I was younger; it’s been a dream of mine,” Turner said. “It’s not about the money or necessarily about the love of the game; it’s about the love of what I do and to make my dreams become a reality this soon. I had to jump on the opportunity.”

At the NBA draft combine May 14, Turner said he was working on all aspects of his game.

“I [am] someone who’s ready to learn,” Turner said. “I consider myself a student of the game. I won’t settle for failure; I want success and an NBA championship.”