Free Austin summertime events to attend this week

2015-05-31_Summer_Austin_Symphony_Tess
Tess Cagle

Editor’s Note: In this recurring column, writer Katie Walsh outlines free Austin summer events happening each day of the week.

Monday, July 6

What: Wanderlust Summer at the Springs Yoga

Where: Zilker Park,  2100 Barton Springs Road

Time: 7:30 p.m.

Wanderlust Yoga will host a free yoga class Monday evening for their weekly summer yoga series: Summer at the Springs. Following the hour-long class at 8:30 p.m. will be snacks courtesy of the health-conscious cafe Blenders and Bowls. Attendees are also invited to take a dip in the nearby Barton Springs Pool during free swim at 9 p.m.

For more information, click here.

Tuesday, July 7

What: We Run This Mic – Live Comedy and Storytelling

Where: Bar 2211, 2211 Webberville Road

Time: 9 p.m.–12 a.m.

Austinites involved in the local comedy scene, Michelle Mirsky and Melody Shifflet, will host We Run This Mic, an open mic, stand-up and storytelling show Tuesday night. Attendees, who must be over the age of 21, can look forward to a night of laughs at the event which promises the arrival of a surprise special guest.

For more information, click here.

Wednesday, July 8

What: Weekly Songwriter Series

Where: Red Eyed Fly Inside, 715 Red River St.

Time: 8 p.m.–2 a.m.

Stop by the Red Eyed Fly bar Wednesday night to hear from the local songwriting community as they perform original material during the Weekly Songwriting Series event. From 8 p.m. to midnight, local songwriters will take the stage, followed by an open mic until 2 a.m.

For more information, click here.

Thursday, July 9

Shady Grove Unplugged,

Where: Shady Grove, 1625 Barton Springs Road

Time: 8 p.m.

Dallas-based rock, blues and country artist Jonathan Tyler is set to perform at Shady Grove for the restaurant's weekly concert series, Shady Grove Unplugged. Attendees can bring a towel and sit in the grass or grab a table and order discounted drinks while listening to the rock musician’s set. The first 10 Subarus to enter the parking lot will receive a reserved parking spot.

For more information, click here.

Friday, July 10

What: This Is How We Do It: The Action Pack’s ‘90s Dance Party

Where: The Highball, 1120 S. Lamar Blvd.

Time: 10:30 p.m.

Take yourself back 20 years to the era of grunge and hip-hop at a ’90s-themed dance party hosted by The Action Pack, a branch of Alamo Drafthouse Cinema that puts on interactive events. Attendees should arrive clad in ’90s attire ready to break it down to the most popular music videos of the 1990s.

For more information, click here.

Saturday, July 11

What: Quesoff V

Where: The Mohawk, 912 Red River St.

Time: 2 p.m.–5 p.m.

Professional chefs and home cooks will compete in the fifth annual Quesoff this Saturday at the Mohawk. A panel of judges will name five winners, one for each of the categories: Meaty, Veggie, Spicy, Wildcard and Guac. Non-participants can sample the queso, although a bag of chips will cost them $5.

For more information, click here.

Sunday, July 12

What: Dreamstate, TX Pajama Party

Where: Empire Control Room & Garage, 606 E. Seventh St.

Time: 7 p.m.

Put on your pajamas Sunday night and head to the Empire Control Room for a pajama party with live music, poetry and art. All pajama types are encouraged – from lingerie to oversized T-shirts – and those who choose to partake will have the opportunity to leave the party with a free painting. The event is free if you are over the age of 21, and $5 for those between 18 and 21 years of age.

For more information, click here.