Cross Country kicks off season against Texas State

The Texas cross country team begins its 2015 season Friday as it hosts the visiting Texas State Bobcats for the Texas Invitational at Balcones-Spicewood Country Course. 

The women will open with a 3K at 6:05 p.m. followed by the men’s 5K race at 6:30 p.m. 

The Longhorns have high expectations to start the season as both teams landed No. 2 in the inaugural regional rankings.  

Coming off a season in which they competed in the NCAA Championships for the sixth year in a row, the men look to take the first step in not only continuing that trend but also building upon it. 

Despite finishing second at last year’s South Central Regional Championship, sophomore Connor Hendrickson believes that the team possesses untapped potential. 

“Quite a few of us were rather disappointed with the way the season ended up and how we raced when it came time for the championships,” Hendrickson said Wednesday. “There’s definitely room to grow, always room to get better.” 

Friday’s meet will be the first of two events hosted by the Longhorns this fall at Spicewood Course. The second will be Oct. 2.

Cross country coach Brad Herbster touched on the importance of gaining experience in early season meets. 

“We’re excited to just get the season going,” Herbster said. “We can practice all day long, but there’s nothing like a race environment to separate the field.”