Big 12 Notebook — Week one

2014-11-27_UT_vs_TCU_Jenna
Jenna VonHofe

Kansas, Oklahoma State name starting quarterbacks

Fans of the Jayhawks and Cowboys now know who to expect under center in their respective home openers after roster announcements last week.

Junior Montell Cozart will lead the Kansas offense, head coach Dan Beaty announced following fall camp on Aug. 24. Cozart started eight games in the prior two seasons, throwing for 928 yards, five touchdowns and nine interceptions.  
Meanwhile in Stillwater, sophomore Mason Rudolph held the job over redshirt senior J.W. Walsh. Rudolph played in the final three games of the Cowboy’s season last year, completing 57 percent of his passes with 853 yards passing, six touchdowns and four interceptions. Walsh, who entered last season as the starter, was injured in Oklahoma State’s second game and never saw the playing field again.  

Three TCU players on Campbell Watch List

While the Horned Frogs’ third-place spot in the preseason AP poll has them on everyone else’s radar, three TCU players are getting an early look for awards.

Senior quarterback Trevone Boykin, senior receiver Josh Doctson and senior running back Aaron Greene were each named to the Earl Campbell Tyler Rose Award watch list Aug. 26. The award is presented to the country’s top player and named after the former Texas running back.

Boykin, who also enters this season as a Heisman candidate, threw for more than 3,900 yards, 33 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, leading the Horned Frogs to a Peach Bowl win over Ole Miss. His go-to target, Doctson, caught 65 pass for 1,018 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Greene will likely be a key to the Horned Frog offense after rushing for 922 yards and nine touchdowns last year.

Lombardi Watch List

With spread offenses all over the conference, the Big 12 is known primarily for its skill players. But in the preseason, a number of players in the trenches are getting a look for awards.

Five players from the Big 12 were added to the Rotary Lombardi watch list Aug. 25, giving the conference 18 players total on the list. The Longhorns were represented by freshman linebacker Cameron Townsend on the new list. He joins senior offensive guard Sedrick Flowers on the watch list.

Baylor leads all Big 12 schools with four players on the watch list, including defensive end Shawn Oakman.

The award recognizes the best down lineman or linebacker set up within five yards of the line of scrimmage. The 12 semifinalists for the award will be announced later in the season with the winner announced Dec. 9.