Big 12 Notebook — Week two

2014-11-27_UT_vs_TCU_Jenna
Jenna VonHofe

TCU struggles in season opener

The Horned Frogs struggled in their season opener against Minnesota.

TCU, which entered the game at No. 2 in the AP Poll, narrowly escaped the Golden Gophers, 23-17.

Heisman-hopeful senior quarterback Trevone Boykin had a solid game, but the Minnesota defense contained him effectively despite his stat line. Boykin managed to throw 246 yards and one touchdown but also threw an interception. He made up for his decent game against the Golden Gophers with his run game as he racked up 92 yards on the ground and a touchdown.

After the Horned Frogs’ close game, they dropped a spot in this week’s poll to No. 3.

Oklahoma quarterback makes record-setting debut

In his first game since 2013, Oklahoma junior quarterback Baker Mayfield had a historic performance in the Sooners’ 41-3 win over Akron.

Mayfield completed 22 of 33 passes for 388 yards and three touchdowns. His performance broke former Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford’s school record for passing yards in an opening game.

Mayfield’s last snap at quarterback was in Texas Tech’s Thanksgiving game against Texas in 2013. After transferring to Oklahoma, he sat out a year per NCAA transfer rules.

During his freshman season with the Red Raiders, he recorded 2,315 passing yards and 12 touchdowns.

Kansas State loses starting quarterback

The Wildcats lost their starting quarterback to a knee injury Saturday against South Dakota.

Kansas State sophomore quarterback Jesse Ertz suffered his injury on a 5-yard run when a Coyotes defender hit his knee.

“Jesse is going to be out for quite some time,” Snyder said on the Big 12 teleconference. “We will miss him. We feel badly about the loss, and he will be there … I am quite confident he will stay invested in what we are doing and will be very helpful to all of his teammates. We will move on.”

Junior quarterback Joe Huebner will start against UTSA on Saturday.

Mahomes, Joseph earn Big 12 honors

Texas Tech sophomore quarterback Patrick Mahomes and West Virginia senior safety Karl Joseph were named the Big 12 Player of the Week and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week, respectively.

Mahomes threw for 425 yards and four touchdowns against Sam Houston State last weekend. He also added 48 yards rushing in the Red Raiders’ 59-45 win.

Saturday’s performance was the fourth consecutive game in which Mahomes threw for over 300 yards and at least four touchdowns.

Joseph intercepted three passes and recorded eight tackles in the Mountaineers’ 44-0 win over Georgia Southern. His three interceptions were the most by any Big 12 player since 1994.

Iowa State to fight for Cy-Hawk Trophy

The Cyclones play their in-state rival, the Iowa Hawkeyes, for the Cy-Hawk Trophy this weekend.

Iowa State will enter the game coming off a 31-7 win over Northern Iowa. Senior quarterback Sam Richardson recorded 233 yards and two touchdowns in the win.

Iowa comes into the rivalry game after defeating Illinois State, 31-14. Hawkeye junior quarterback CJ Beathard threw for 211 yards and one touchdown.

The two schools battle at 3:45 p.m. in Ames, Iowa, on Saturday.