Center for Students in Recovery hosts Texas Recovery Month

Kahlil Said

National Recovery Month is recognized annually, but for the first time, The Center for Students in Recovery will host Texas Recovery Month for people recovering from addiction.

On September 12th, the center will host a “Sober Tailgate” event prior to the Longhorn’s first home football game of the season.

Jason Howell, executive director of SoberHood and RecoveryPeople, two nonprofits focused on helping those with addiction, has been in long-term recovery since 1998. Ten years later, he joined the recovery movement and has been helping those in rehabilitation since.

“The most important thing is to engage people in recovery, this is what National Recovery Month is all about,” Howell said.

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration, approximately 2 million Texans are currently in substance abuse recovery.

This year’s Texas Recovery Month t-shirt was designed to match the theme, “Recovery Rocks.” Howell said Hank Edwards, the designer of the t-shirt, is also in long-term recovery from substance abuse.

Lori K. Holleran, associate professor in the School of Social Work, said recognizing the importance of recovery is essential to overcoming the disorder.

“Showing individuals that recovery is possible is the biggest step to their recovery,” Holleran said. “There are many roads to recovery people travel on.”

First-year law student Noor Wadi said she plans to attend the Sober Tailgate, although she is not in recovery.

“A Sober Tailgate goes against the typical standard for tailgates, but it opens the door for people, whether in recovery or not, to come out and enjoy a sober and social event for a good cause,” Wadi said.

The First Annual Recovery in the Park Celebration will be held the following weekend on Saturday, Sept. 19. Students are invited to attend this celebration and enjoy live music and refreshments.

On Sept. 26 and 27, the Recovery Capital Conference will take place here in Austin. Dr. John Kelly from Harvard will be the keynote speaker of the event.

Click here to learn more about resources available to students and community members seeking information about substance abuse recovery.