Texas leads Rice 21-14 at half

halftime_Rice_RachelZein_web
Rachel Zein

After failing to score a touchdown in their season opener at No. 9 Notre Dame, it didn’t take long for the Longhorns to find their offense against Rice.

With redshirt freshman Jerrod Heard taking over the staring quarterback duties, Texas went 80 yards on its first drive to take a 7-0 lead. A 32-yard touchdown pass from Heard to sophomore receiver Armonti Foreman highlighted the scoring drive.

The Longhorns struck again when senior receiver Daje Johnson exploded for an 85 yard punt return touchdown to put the Longhorns up 14-0.

After Texas’ defense held Rice to its second three-and-out in its first three drives, senior cornerback Duke Thomas returned a punt 56 yards to set Texas up inside Rice’s 10-yard line. The Longhorns scored two plays later when senior running back Johnathan Gray took a hand off for a one-yard touchdown.

Starting at the Texas 35-yard line after sophomore safety Jason Hall fumbled on an interception return, Rice scored their first touchdown on a 22-yard rushing by redshirt freshman Sam Stewart.

Following a Longhorns punt, Rice scored again on a 16-yard rushing touchdown from Stewart. The Owls converted four third down conversions on the scoring 87-yard scoring drive, which lasted just under seven minutes.

The Longhorns went three-and-out on their ensuing drive before junior safety Dylan Haines intercepted Owls’ senior quarterback Driphus Jackson to prevent Rice from scoring before the half.

Texas heads into the locker room leading 21-14.