Women’s golf finish first day of Minnesota Invitational

Texas women’s golf has a long way to go to salvage a result after struggling in the first two rounds of the Minnesota Invitational on Monday.

The Longhorns closed out the first day of the Minnesota Invitational with a total score of 614 points — only good enough for a tie of tenth place.

Senior Tezira Abe and junior Haley Mills are leading Texas’ individual leader board at 6-over par, though Abe is only competing as an individual and her score doesn’t count for the team.

Trailing behind Abe and Hills are sophomore Sophia Schubert at 10-over and senior Natalie Karcher at 13-over. Junior Julia Beck and freshman Maddie Luitwieler both finished 14-over.

Reigning team-champion East Carolina sits at the second spot going into tomorrow’s rounds with 590 points, while Purdue University is at the top of the team leaderboard.

Purdue leads the tournament with a 10-over through 36-holes, while reigning tournament champion East Carolina is four strokes back.

The other two Big 12 teams in the tournament have had similar results. TCU currently holds the ninth spot at 27-over, and Kansas is last out of the 12 teams with a 50-over par.

The Longhorns will look to improve on their position in the third and final round Tuesday.

Live Stats: http://golfstatresults.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=teamPlayer&tid=8684