Men’s tennis off to a strong start after first tournaments in Midland, Houston

Texas men’s tennis sent squads to Midland and Houston this weekend and picked up several wins during the Rice Invitational and the Racquet Club Collegiate Invitational. Friday at the Rice Invitational, senior Michael Riechmann, redshirt sophomore William Jou and redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinsky advanced the Longhorns, collectively winning four matches in singles play.

Zlobinsky and senior Nick Naumann teamed up in doubles, defeating Portland’s Felix Fan and Kent Andreasen 6-1 in the first round. Zlobinsky and Jou were eliminated in the third round of singles play. Michael Riechmann beat Army’s Kyle Barnes, 7-5 and 6-4, winning the “C” singles draw. In doubles finals, Naumann and Zlobinsky defeated Tulane’s Sebastian Rey and Chi-Shan Jao 6-2, winning the main doubles draw.

Meanwhile in Midland, sophomore John Mee edged San Diego’s Pratt Keerasuntonpong 6-1 and 6-3 in the first round and then defeated TCU’s Reece Stalder 6-2 and 6-3 in the second round. Freshman Harrison Scott won his first two matches, collecting his first collegiate wins. Both Mee and Scott advanced to the quarterfinals. Freshman Johnny Goodwin lost to Texas Tech’s Connor Curry in a three-set match in the first round, falling 3-6, 6-0, and 6-3.

Saturday, Mee defeated Hayden Sabatka from New Mexico 6-3 and 6-2, and Scott beat San Diego’s Romain Kalaydjian in three sets, 1-6, 6-2, and 6-1. TCU’s Trevor Johnson defeated Mee in the semifinals, eliminating him from the tournament. Scott defeated Trevor Johnson in the finals, 7-5 and 6-3, winning the main singles draw. The Longhorns will compete next weekend in St. Helena, California, at the Porsche Napa Valley Tennis Classic.