Big 12 Notebook: Texas Tech takes down Razorbacks

2014-11-03_UT_vs_TexasTech_Jenna
Jenna VonHofe

Texas Tech (3-0) continues to impress after it defeated SEC foe Arkansas 35-24 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Sophomore quarterback Patrick Mahomes threw for 243 yards and a touchdown and ran for 58 yards. The Red Raiders gave up 228 rushing yards and allowed two touchdown passes from Razorbacks running back Alex Collins, but they shut out Arkansas in the fourth quarter, allowing the Raiders to pull away.

After the game, Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury had strong words for Arkansas’ head coach Bret Bielema.

“[Bielema] just got his ass kicked twice in a row and probably next week by [Texas] A&M as well,” Kingsbury said after the game.

The Red Raiders will look to pull off an upset when they host No. 3 TCU in Lubbock on Saturday at 3:45 p.m.

Horned Frogs get in shootout with SMU
TCU had trouble with the Mustangs as it gave up 37 points on Saturday.

The Horned Frogs allowed 330 passing yards to SMU junior quarterback Matt Davis. They also gave up 178 rushing yards against the Mustangs.

But TCU got another good performance from its Heisman-contending senior quarterback Trevone Boykin, who threw 454 yards and five touchdowns. Boykin also added 50 rushing yards and a touchdown.

The Horned Frogs entered the fourth quarter ahead 42-34, but their defense held SMU to three points in closing quarter.

Mayfield shines in Oklahoma win
Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield had a historic performance in the Sooners’ 52-38 win over Tulsa.

Mayfield set a school record with 572 total yards. He amassed 487 passing yards and four touchdowns through the air and also ran for 85 yards and two more touchdowns.

He said his record-setting performance was a humbling moment.

“It’s pretty special to me,” Mayfield said after the game. “But we had so much more on the table. Who knows what we could have done if we had just executed the offense better?”

The Sooners have a bye week before playing West Virginia on Oct. 3.

Cowboys continue to roll
Seven forced turnovers helped Oklahoma State roll past UTSA 69-14 on Saturday.

“I was proud of the way our team forced turnovers, and it helped us take control of the game early,” head coach Mike Gundy said.

The Cowboys’ offense was functioning on all cylinders as sophomore quarterback Mason Rudolph threw for 280 yards and two touchdowns.

The Oklahoma State defense held the Roadrunners’ offense to 346 yards of total offense.

The Cowboys bring their undefeated record to Austin on Saturday.

Iowa State losing streak continues
The Cyclones lost to Toledo on Saturday 30-23 in overtime to extend their losing streak to two games.

Iowa State outgained the Rockets 481 yards to 309. The Cyclones scored 10 unanswered points in the fourth quarter against Toledo but only scored three points in overtime.

Iowa State begins conference play on Oct. 3 against Kansas.