Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 4

1. TCU

The Horned Frogs’ offense looked great against SMU, piling up 720 total yards in a 56-37 win. But SMU put up 508 total yards against a struggling TCU defense. The Horned Frogs remain the Big 12 favorite simply because of how good their offense is with senior quarterback Trevone Boykin, but their defense needs to improve. They’ll have another offensive shoot-out on their hands this week against Texas Tech.

2. Baylor

The Bears had their first bye week of the season after starting 2-0. They will return to action against Rice on Saturday, which is the final game of their weak non-conference slate.

3. Oklahoma

Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield dazzled in Oklahoma’s 52-38 win over Tulsa. Mayfield completed 32-of-38 passes for 487 yards and four touchdowns along with two rushing touchdowns. Sophomore running back Samaje Perine added 152 rushing yards and one touchdown for the Sooners. If Mayfield continues this level of play, Oklahoma remains a legitimate Big 12 contender.

4. Oklahoma State

The Cowboys dominated UTSA in an easy 69-14 win at home, which put Oklahoma State at No. 24 in the AP Poll. The Pokes travel to Austin this weekend to play the Longhorns, a game that doesn’t look as easy for the Cowboys as it did a few weeks ago.

5. West Virginia

Like Baylor, the Mountaineers had their first bye week of the season. They play Maryland at home Saturday before traveling to Norman for a matchup with the Sooners.

6. Texas Tech

The Red Raiders made their first statement of the season, downing Arkansas 35-24. Granted, Arkansas did lose to Toledo last week, but it’s still a big win for a Texas Tech team that went 4-8 last year. TCU is coming to Lubbock this week, but a 3-0 Tech team that’s No. 2 in the Big 12 in scoring offense might pose a challenge to the Horned Frogs.

7. Kansas State

Kansas State needed three overtimes to finally put away from Louisiana Tech, 39-33, at home. The Wildcats were mediocre on offense, with 360 total yards through regulation and  overtime periods. Meanwhile, their defense allowed 451 yards from Louisiana Tech. It was a win, but not a promising one as conference play starts.

8. Texas

The Longhorns may have lost in heart-breaking fashion, but they at least found a quarterback in redshirt freshman Jerrod Heard. However, the Texas defense struggled, allowing California to pass for 268 yards and run for 280 more. If that improves, Texas could make some noise in the Big 12.

9. Iowa State

The Cyclones fell to 1-2 after a double-overtime 30-23 road loss to Toledo. They have a bye week before returning home to play the Jayhawks in a game they really need to win.

10. Kansas

Kansas had the week off, but plays two straight road games before returning home to play Baylor — not ideal for the winless Jayhawks.