Players to Watch: Oklahoma State

Quarterbacks Mason Rudolph and J.W. Walsh

Texas faces two offensive weapons in No. 24 Oklahoma State’s quarterbacks – sophomore starter Mason Rudolph and senior backup J.W. Walsh. Rudolph was named the Cowboys’ starting quarterback last season after Walsh suffered a foot injury and then-backup senior Daxx Garman developed concussion symptoms. Rudolph threw for 853 yards and six touchdowns in the last three games of 2014. He’s already put up big numbers this year for the Cowboys with 947 yards in the air on 62 completions and five touchdowns.
Expect Walsh to take some reps Saturday as well, as he’s seen action in the fourth quarters of Oklahoma State’s last two games. Walsh passed for nearly 2,900 yards and 22 touchdowns in his first two seasons as the Cowboys’ starter in 2012 and 2013. Texas’ defense has given up 815 pass yards this season, and that number could rise considerably against Oklahoma State’s heavily armed duo.

Running back Chris Carson

Carson was ranked the No. 4 junior college running back prospect by 247Sports prior to his transfer to Oklahoma State this spring. The junior is already making an impact on the Cowboys’ offense, tallying up 235 yards in three games. He cruised to 104 yards and two touchdowns in last week’s 69-14 win over UTSA. Earlier this summer, Carson told Bill Haisten of the Tulsa World that he wants to be one of the top-three running backs in the Big 12 and rush for at least 1,000 yards. The matchup against Texas on Saturday could be a key turning point for Carson as he works toward those goals.

Wide receiver David Glidden

Redshirt senior David Glidden is emerging as one of the most consistent Oklahoma State receivers this season. Glidden is fifth in the Big 12 and No. 12 in the nation with an average of 23.6 yards per catch. One of Rudolph’s favorite targets, Glidden is the Cowboys’ leading receiver with 12 catches for 283 yards and three touchdowns. He hauled in a career-high 145 yards on just four receptions in Oklahoma State’s 32-8 win over Central Arkansas in Week 2. Rudolph and Glidden will be a dangerous combination against a weak Texas secondary.

Defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah

Texas’ offensive line is one of the weakest areas of the squad, and Cowboys redshirt junior defensive end Emmanuel Ogbah will look to exploit it. The 2014 Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year racked up 49 total tackles last season with 17 for a loss. He already has 13 total tackles and 3.5 sacks in 2015. Fairly inexperienced Texas redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard will be a prime target for Ogbah as he looks to force turnovers and take advantage of a shaky Texas offensive line, as well as contain Heard’s speed and run potential.