Longhorns fall to West Virginia, 2-0

The Mountaineers’ clinic opened at 6 p.m. Friday.

Texas entered the clinic with confidence and in good spirits. The Longhorns felt sick to their stomachs and demoralized when the clinic closed at 8 p.m., and Texas (3-3-3) fell to West Virginia 2­-0.

The Longhorns weren’t cured in those 90 minutes of game time at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium. Instead, the Mountaineers added to their misery.

Texas couldn’t muster a goal for a second-straight game, but it wasn’t because of missed opportunities — a term head coach Angela Kelly uses when her team can pile on shot after shot, but can’t break through.

On this night, the Longhorns achieved a season-low five shots less than a week after they accumulated a season-high 29 shots against Arkansas-Little Rock.

But the Longhorns didn’t play the Trojans. They faced a Mountaineers team that holds opponents to an average of less than five shots per game. West Virginia’s defense is so suffocating that one team couldn’t even muster a shot against them.

The Mountaineers’ offense is as destructive as their defense is impenetrable. Friday night, their offense destroyed the Longhorns’ defense as West Virginia collected 31 shots, 12 shots on goal and two goals.

West Virginia’s first goal came in the 36th minute. Freshman defender Hannah Abraham received a pass from freshman defender Bianca St. Georges and headed the ball past Texas’ senior goalkeeper Abby Smith.

Six minutes into the second half, the Mountaineers shot another ball past Smith. Senior forward Kailey Utley crossed the ball to junior midfielder Ashley Lawrence. Lawrence battled with a UT defender while the ball was in the air. The ball ricocheted off the pair and landed in the back of the net.

The Longhorns tried to rally back from the deficit, but they couldn’t. They couldn’t organize an offensive attack, and they couldn’t obtain a shot.

They didn’t leave the clinic happy.