Orange-White scrimmage provides promising start to upcoming men’s swimming and diving season

2015-03-28_Big_12_Swim_Dive_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Friday's Orange-White scrimmage in Austin proved a promising start to the men's swimming and diving 2015–2016 season.

Highlights from the meet included freshman swimmer Townley Haas breaking the 200-yard freestyle meet record time of 1:35:09 with his time of 1:34:84. Later in the meet, Haas broke another meet record with his time of 4:20:89 in the 500-yard freestyle.

Additionally, both freshman Ryan Harty and junior Will Licon shattered the 200-yard IM record with personal times of 1:44:74 for Harty and 1:45:05 for Licon. Harty performed well later in the meet as well, taking first in the 200-yard backstroke, coming in at 1:42:84, breaking the meet record for this event.

After the 200-yard IM, with Orange leading White, 71-42, the crowd turned its attention toward the other side of the pool, where divers senior Cory Bowersox and juniors Sean O'Brien and Mark Anderson competed against each other. Bowersox, an NCAA diving national championship bronze medalist, won the event with a total score of 329.35, with highest scoring in his inward 2.5 somersault dive. O'Brien took second with a final score of 304.10, and Anderson finished behind him with a final score of 296.50.

After the 500-yard freestyle with Orange continuing to lead White, 125-80, another round of diving ensued. Bowersox once again won this round of dives, with a final score of 364.20 and especially high marks for his forward 4.5 somersault dive, with a score of 84.00. Anderson took second in this round with a score of 319.90, and O'Brien followed him with 292.30.

In a post-race comment from junior Jack Conger, he said “individually, he's pleased.” He noted that he’s enjoying the great team chemistry, and although they have a lot to improve on, the scrimmage was a good start considering they have only worked on endurance thus far, no speed training.

On his 100-yard butterfly, Conger said he was “pretty pleased,” and his performance was “solid.” On his 200-yard butterfly, he commented that he had no idea where he was in the race the entire time, but he’s not complaining about his performance.

The Longhorns will swim against Florida and Indiana in their next meet, Oct. 16–17, at home.