Texas tennis falls in the semifinals at Porsche Napa Valley Tennis Classic

Texas men’s tennis sent a four-man squad to St. Helena, California, this weekend to compete in the Porsche Napa Valley Tennis Classic. The three-day tournament included 32 players who competed in round-robin singles and doubles competition.

Friday, the Longhorns collected three singles match wins and a doubles match victory. Senior Michael Riechmann came out victorious 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 over USTA junior Danny Thomas. After being crowned champion at last week’s Racquet Club Collegiate Invitational, freshman Harrison Scott edged a 6-2, 3-6, 6-1 win to defeat Stanford senior Nolan Paige. Texas freshman Liam Caruana, who is currently ranked No. 8 in the ITA National Newcomer/Freshman Rankings, clutched a 6-1, 6-2 win against Stanford sophomore David Hsu. In doubles play, junior George Goldhoff paired up with Caruana to defeat their opponents 7-5.

Saturday in singles play, Riechmann beat Stanford junior Roy Lederman 7-5, 6-4. Scott defeated Princeton junior Joshua Yablon 4-6, 6-1, 6-1 in a three-set match. Scott and Riechmann teamed up in doubles to earn the Longhorns another win, emerging victorious 6-2 over California sophomore Billy Griffith and Stanford’s Lederman.

Texas continued its winning streak Sunday. In singles play, Scott went head-to-head with USTA junior Brandon Holt and defeated him 6-1, 4-6, 6-3.  Riechmann came out victorious 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 against Baylor freshman Jimmy Bendeck. Caruana beat Florida junior Maxx Lipman, 6-2, 7-6(4).

In the quarterfinals shootout round, Riechmann was defeated 10-8. Caruana and Scott were both edged in the semifinals.

The Longhorns return to action next weekend in Tulsa, Oklahoma, at the ITA All-American Championship.