Games to Watch: Week 5

No. 6 Notre Dame at No. 12 Clemson
Saturday — 7 p.m. — ABC

The game of the week features two teams on the outside looking in when it comes to the four-team playoff. Notre Dame has managed to soldier on despite losing its starting quarterback and running back in the first two weeks of the season. Senior running back C.J. Prosise has kept the Irish offense afloat with 600 rushing yards and six touchdowns in four games.

Meanwhile, Clemson might be the quietest contender for the playoff. The Tigers demolished their first two opponents and then survived a three-point battle against Louisville last week. Sophomore quarterback Deshaun Watson has been big, throwing for over 641 yards and seven touchdowns with three interceptions, two of which came against Louisville.

No. 3 Ole Miss at No. 25 Florida
Saturday — 6 p.m. — ESPN

In the wide-open SEC, not many people talked about the Rebels or the Gators — but here we sit five weeks into the season and both teams are undefeated and ranked. The Rebels have already taken down one division rival, defeating Alabama two weeks ago. Junior quarterback Chad Kelly has burst onto the scene with 1,219 yards and 10 touchdowns through the air. Florida, on the other hand, has quietly risen to contender status in the SEC East, coming back to beat Tennessee in the waning minutes last week. No one expected this to be a big match up before the season, but it’s no doubt one of the best games of the week.

No. 13 Alabama at No. 8 Georgia
Saturday — 2:30 p.m. — CBS

It’s another season and Alabama once again finds itself behind the eight ball for playoff contention going into the meat of its schedule. The Tide lost to Ole Miss, but this is a big opportunity to erase the sting of the defeat. To do that, however, Alabama needs senior quarterback Jake Coker to improve on his 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ration. For Georgia, this is a game that can finally flip the narrative in their favor. A win over the Tide lifts the Bulldogs right into playoff talk, especially in a relatively easy SEC East division. This will be the must-see game of the 2:30 slot.

No. 23 West Virginia at No. 15 Oklahoma
Saturday — 11 a.m. — FOX Sports1

The Big 12 gets in on the big game action with a ranked showdown of undefeated teams. West Virginia will get its first real test of the season after pummeling its first three opponents. Junior quarterback Skyler Howard has been electric for the Mountaineers with 916 passing yards, nine touchdowns and one interception. Oklahoma, meanwhile, is looking to keep up its momentum heading into the Red River Showdown next week. Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield has given the Sooners a much-needed boost at the position, throwing for 1,062 yards and 10 touchdowns. This game might not be the sexiest matchup of the day, but with the potential for a shoot-out, it’s a game you can’t miss.