Texas upsets No. 10 Oklahoma 24-17 in Red River Showdown

haltime_OU_RachelZein
Rachel Zein

Update (2:55 p.m.): The Longhorns drove the ball 67 yards on 15 plays to start the second half. Senior kicker Nick Rose nailed a 27-yard field goal to end the drive and extend Texas' lead to 17-3.

Oklahoma responded quickly when a 50-yard pass from junior quarterback Baker Mayfield to senior wide receiver Sterling Shepard set up a 2-yard touchdown pass from Mayfield to sophomore fullback Dimitri Flowers.

After each team punted, Texas added another touchdown in the fourth quarter when Swoopes connected with junior tight end Caleb Bluiett for a 2-yard touchdown. Sophomore running back D’Onta Foreman sparked the scoring drive with an 81-yard run.

The Sooners immediately answered again when sophomore running back Semaje Perine scored from a yard out to cut the deficit to 24-17. Mayfield kept the scoring drive alive with a crucial 10-yard run on a fourth-and-nine.

After a Longhorn punt, the Sooners started a drive from their own 20-yard line with a chance to tie the game. However, two Texas sacks forced Oklahoma to punt with 3:33 to play.

On the ensuing drive, the Longhorns picked up three first downs to run out the clock and seal the 24-17 victory.

Texas enters its bye week at 2-4.

—Ezra Siegel

Update (12:55 p.m.):  The game started slowly with two consecutive Oklahoma punts and a Longhorn three-and-out.

However, Texas heated up on its second drive, taking the ball 77 yards on eight plays for a touchdown. Redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard left the drive for a few plays with an injury, but he returned and connected with senior wide receiver Marcus Johnson for a 24-yard score.

Oklahoma fumbled on the ensuing kickoff, giving Texas the ball at the Sooners’ 41-yard line. Junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes ran it from a jumbo-package on three straight plays to cap a seven-play scoring with a three-yard touchdown.

Following the Texas touchdown, both teams punted on consecutive drives.

The Sooners' offense finally started rolling in the second quarter when junior quarterback Baker Mayfield led a 12-play, 67-yard drive. The Longhorns defense tightened in the red zone, however, and Oklahoma settled for a 21-yard field goal.

After another set of quick stops for each team, the Longhorns picked up two first downs and ran out the clock to end the half.

Texas leads the Sooners 14-3 at halftime.

—Ezra Siegel

Update (10:00 a.m.): Texas is looking for more than bragging rights at the Red River Showdown against No. 10 Oklahoma. Sitting at 1-4, the Longhorns are desperate for some much-needed momentum. Beating the undefeated Sooners is a tall task. However, it’s an opportunity for Texas to jumpstart its lackluster season.

Stay tuned for kickoff at 11:00 a.m., and follow us on twitter @texansports for the latest updates.