Bevo XIV dies in sleep after 11 years as mascot

2013-09-16_Bevo_XIV_Zachary_Strain2504
Zachary Strain

Texas mascot Bevo XIV died in his sleep early Friday morning following a short bout with bovine leukemia virus. Bevo served as the Longhorns mascot for more than 11 years and appeared in 147 games with the Longhorns.

In his time with Texas, Bevo XIV was on hand for numerous signature victories, including the Longhorns 2005 National Championship victory over USC at the Rose Bowl. Bevo also attended President George W. Bush’s second inauguration and came to numerous charity events and private parties in the Austin area.

Bevo sat in the south end zone of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium for two eras of Texas football. He was there for the final 10 years of Mack Brown’s tenure as head coach of the Longhorns as well as the first full year of Charlie Strong’s time in burnt orange.

"Bevo XIV was so much more than a traditional mascot — he was so big and strong, but he had such a sweet personality and a gentle soul," said Ricky Brennes, executive director of the Silver Spurs.

Prior to becoming the Longhorns mascot in 2004, Bevo XIV went by the name Sunrise Studly. He was a champion steer, earning the title of National Grand Champion from the Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America in 2004.

The search for Bevo XV will begin as soon as possible. The Silver Spurs Alumni Association will lead the search, hoping to name a replacement by the beginning of the 2015 football season.

Bevo died at his ranch in the company of owners John T. and Betty Baker. He was 13 years old.