Texas defeats No. 17 Texas Tech with goal in second overtime

Soccer_Vs_TCU_WinGabriel_Lopez
Gabriel Lopez

Complete shock set in over the crowd as the ball touched the net.

Texas won its third straight game with a golden goal in double overtime by junior Jasmine Hart lifted Texas to a 2-1 win over No. 17 Texas Tech in Lubbock on Friday night.

The goal was Hart’s first of the year, and it couldn’t have come at a better time. Just 15 seconds away from another draw, senior Lindsey Meyer headed the ball to Hart, who put the ball in the top right of the net for a walk-off goal.

Down 1-0 after a Red Raider goal from reigning senior forward Janine Beckie, who was the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year in 2014, Texas answered with a goal of their own quickly. Freshman forward Alexa Adams extended her scoring streak to three straight games — dropping in a pass to fellow freshman Mikayla Flores soon after to tie the game before the end of the first half.

The game was chippy throughout, with 29 fouls called and three yellow cards, and it was clear how much the game meant to each team.

Both teams were scoreless in the second half, despite seven shots from the Red Raiders on Longhorn senior goalkeeper Abby Smith.

The Red Raiders dominated possession throughout most of the first and second overtimes and had the ball on the Texas half of the field for the majority of the two extra periods.

But the Texas defense battled and was able to fight off the Texas Tech attack until Hart was able to score to seal the upset win for the Longhorns.

The win improves the Longhorns to 7-3-4 overall and 4-1-1 in conference play, while the loss drops the No. 17 Red Raiders to 8-3-4 and 1-2-2 in Big 12 action.