Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 8

No. 1 Baylor

Welcome to the No. 1 spot, Baylor. Sure, the Bears haven’t exactly played world beaters, but they look like the most complete team in the Big 12 right now. Baylor thrashed West Virginia 62-38, getting revenge on losing to the Mountaineers last season.

No. 2 TCU

TCU trailed Iowa State 21-14 after the first quarter but shut the Cyclones out for the rest of the game to win 45-21. The Horned Frogs have had some scares this year, along with defensive struggles and injuries. But, if all goes according to plan, it’ll still come down to TCU and Baylor for the Big 12 title.

No. 3 Oklahoma State

The Cowboys were off last weekend, but are quietly sitting at 6-0. However, they have yet to play Baylor, TCU and Oklahoma.  

No. 4 Oklahoma

The Sooners rebounded nicely after their shocking loss to Texas, beating Kansas State 55-0 on the road. The Sooners still have not played TCU or Baylor, but are talented enough to get back into the Big 12 race with a potential win over one of those two.  

No. 5 Texas Tech

The Red Raiders only beat a bad Kansas team 30-20, but they’re still 5-2 with those two losses to Baylor and TCU. Tech boasts a dangerous offense and has shown progress in Kliff Kingsbury’s third year.

No. 6 West Virginia

The Mountaineers sit at 3-3 after a blowout loss to Baylor. They aren’t a bad team, but they simply don’t have the fire power to keep up with the elite Big 12 teams.

No. 7 Texas

The Longhorns had a bye week after their signature win over Oklahoma. Texas sits at 2-4 but has a chance to get back in the bowl race with Kansas State, Iowa State and Kansas up next.

No. 8 Kansas State

The Wildcats have lost three straight games after a 3-0 start with those losses coming against Oklahoma State, TCU and Oklahoma. Next up they get a re-energized Texas team in Austin, followed by Baylor and Texas Tech. Not an ideal way to try and right the ship.

No. 9 Iowa State

The 2-4 Cyclones go to Waco this week for a showdown with the Bears. It looks like they will be 2-5 going into their Halloween game with Texas.

No. 10 Kansas

The 0-6 Jayhawks still have to play Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and TCU.  At least it’s almost basketball season.