Texas tames Wildcats 23-9

TexasKansasState_gamer_GraemeHamilton
Graeme Hamilton

Update (2:45 p.m.): The Longhorns were able to power past Kansas State, 23-9 at a rain-soaked Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

The Longhorn rushing attack helped Texas, with 274 yards on the ground Saturday. Junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes was key in the win with 50 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

Texas' defense set the tone early and was able to hold the Wildcats to 243 total yards.

Update (12:50 p.m.): Texas came out firing against Kansas State and took a 16-6 lead into halftime at a soggy Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.

The Longhorn defense set the tone with a big hit from sophomore safety Jason Hall on Kansas State junior quarterback Joe Hubener during the Wildcat’s opening drive that sent him out of the game. Texas forced Kansas State to punt and was able to drive down the field a kick a field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

The offense continued to roll as it worked its way into Kansas State territory on its second possession and capped the drive with a one-yard touchdown run from junior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes. Swoopes found the endzone again for another Texas touchdown to push its lead to 16-0.

But the Wildcats were able to find the endzone late in the 2nd quarter with a seven-yard touchdown pass from Hubener to freshman wide receiver Dominque Heath. Kansas State attempted a two-point conversion but it was unsuccessful. The score brought the Wildcats within 10 points.

Update (11:00 a.m.): Texas plays its first game since beating Oklahoma when it takes on Kansas State at 11 a.m. The Longhorns look to keep momentum rolling today at a rainy Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium.