Addison keeps team hopes alive at ITA Regional Championships

Breaunna Addison was the lone Longhorn to advance past the round of 32 in this year’s ITA Texas Regional Championships. The two-time All-American notched her fourth straight win over Texas A&M’s Dominica Gonzalez 6-2, 6-2 on Sunday afternoon to advance to the singles semifinals.

Rain moved the tournament from College Station to indoor facilities at Baylor. Addison saw success with a win over Texas Tech freshman Alexandra Valenstein 6-4, 6-1 in the round of 16. The senior also defeated TCU junior Seda Arantekin 6-2, 6-2 on Friday in College Station and UT-El Paso junior Eduarda Nardi dos Santos in straight sets in the round of 64 on Thursday. Addison earned a bye from the round of 128.

Senior Lana Groenvynck advanced to the round of 32 with wins over Lamar junior Talisa Merchiers and UT-San Antonio junior Meredith Hopson in straight sets in the rounds of 64 and 128, respectively. Groenvynck was eliminated in straight sets to Texas Tech’s Sarah Dvorak on Friday.

Longhorns Dani Wagland and Chelsea Crovetti were both eliminated in the round of 64. Neda Koprcina fell in the round of 128. Addison is scheduled to play Rice junior Katherine Ip on Monday at 10 a.m. If Addison wins, she will advance to the finals.