Lackluster passing game doesn’t concern Norvell, Heard

HeardFeature_2014-09-15_Football_vs_UCLA_Shelby
Shelby Tauber

Texas wide receiver coach and play-caller Jay Norvell and redshirt freshman quarterback Jerrod Heard addressed concerns over Texas’ mediocre passing over its last two games at Tuesday’s press conference. Each said he’s confident in the team’s passing game.

Here are three takeaways from Norvell and Heard’s media address:

Longhorns see offensive improvement coming

Texas had its way running the ball in its wins over Oklahoma and Kansas State, but the Longhorns’ passing game has been lackluster.

Heard only threw for 152 yards in his past two starts, but Heard believes Texas’ running ability will help the passing attack.

“There’s definitely going to be some big shots coming up,” Heard said. “Everyone thinking we’re going to run first, so it’s going to open up some lanes for our receivers.”

Norvell believes the Longhorns can bounce back in the passing game because of their throwing ability during practice.

“We throw the ball good in practice,” Norvell said. “The last two games, I think, were somewhat unusual games in the way that we wanted to attack the teams. … I think we’ll show improvement in the passing game. We’re not really concerned about it.”

Texas focusing on one game at a time

Norvell said he isn’t worried about the Longhorns’ stats at the end of the year. Instead, he said he’s focused on each individual matchup.

“I understand, when you look at the stats, it’s somewhat one-sided,” Norvell said. “For us, it’s more about finding ways to win one game at a time and doing what we need to do. We’re less concerned with balancing out our yearly stats.”

Longhorns’ confidence growing

With two consecutive wins, Heard said the Longhorns are looking to keep their confidence growing.

“The coaches have total trust in us, and we have trust in them,” Heard said. “It’s one of those things where we’ve learned to adjust and just have fun.”