Big 12 Power Rankings: Week 9

Editor’s note: These rankings reflect results between 10/23-10/28

1. Baylor

Baylor’s 45-27 win over Iowa State came at a cost. The Bears lost junior starting quarterback Seth Russell for the season to a neck injury. Freshman Jarrett Stidham will step into the starting role in his absence, but it’s hard to see Baylor taking that big of a step back with its offensive system.

2. TCU

The Horned Frogs were off last weekend. They play West Virginia at home this week followed by a big game with Oklahoma State on Nov. 7. 

3. Oklahoma State

The Cowboys made quick work of the Jayhawks with a 58-10 victory. They have a big game coming on Halloween against the free-falling Red Raiders in Lubbock.  

4. Oklahoma

The Sooners dismantled Texas Tech 63-27 at home. Oklahoma has bounced back nicely in its past two games after laying an egg against the Longhorns.

5. West Virginia

The Mountaineers were off Saturday but lost 40-10 to TCU on Thursday night in Fort Worth.

6. Texas

The Longhorns won their second consecutive game with a 23-9 win over Kansas State. Bowl eligibility doesn’t look too far away with their next two games against Iowa State and Kansas.

7. Texas Tech

After its hot start, Tech has slid big time. Oklahoma torched the Red Raiders 63-27, and it doesn’t get easier with the undefeated Cowboys next.

8. Kansas State

The Wildcats have now lost four straight, and it could become five with Baylor next. It gets a bit easier for Kansas State after Baylor, with Iowa State and Kansas on its schedule.

9. Iowa State

The Cyclones have dropped three straight games and have to face a confident Texas bunch on Halloween. After that, they go to Oklahoma and then play Oklahoma State at home. That losing streak could get a lot worse.

10. Kansas

The Jayhawks remained winless with a 58-10 loss to Oklahoma State. Their next three games are against Oklahoma, Texas and TCU — they’ll probably stay winless.