Texas to face former Longhorn in fall contest against St. Edward’s

2015-10-09_Softball_Thalia
Thalia Juarez

Texas enters Thursday night’s game against St. Edward’s looking to extend its five-game winning streak during the fall schedule.

The Longhorns (5-0) hold a nine-run average margin of victory through their first five contests. Head coach Connie Clark said she can see why.

“I’ve watched them calm down,” Clark said. “They’re letting the game come to them, and it’s evident on the field.”

Clark said the team and its new players are coming together well thanks to the leadership on the squad. 

“One through 19, they’re starting to buy into our standards,” Clark said. “We’re getting a good, solid foundation set. And that starts with the captains up top. They’re setting the example and the tone on the field each and every day.”

Texas’ strong core will face a stiff test against a well-coached Hilltoppers team.

Head coach Lindsay Gardner makes her return to Red and Charline McCombs Field, this time in the opposite dugout. Gardner helped lead a strong stretch of Longhorns teams from 2000–2004 at second base. She led the Big 12 in batting average with .519 in 2000.

“I am always excited to return to McCombs Field,” Gardner said. “I always felt at home as a Longhorn, and I get that feeling every time I walk through the gates. I love the excitement we always have toward playing UT, and we always love the competition.”

Gardner is in her fifth season as coach of the Hilltoppers and has notched a winning record each year after being promoted from assistant coach in 2009.

First pitch is at 6:30 p.m. and admission is free, like the rest of the fall contests.